KyrSEFF Program Supported the Installation of a Wastewater Treatment Facility at a Resort in Belogorka Gorge

Minimizing negative impacts on the quality of water, soil and air is one of the core tasks of a sustainable business. “Ak-Tilek”, a small resort located in the Sokuluk district, used the opportunities provided by the KyrSEFF program to install a wastewater treatment facility.

The Ak-Tilek resort is located in the picturesque Belogorka gorge on the shores of the Shabai River in the Sokuluk district. It is a popular destination not only among those admiring the beauty of nature, but those interested in improving their health by drinking kumyz (fermented horse milk, traditional refreshing drink of Kyrgyz). Clean air and mountains are also perfect conditions for sportsmen to practice.

Dozens of villages are located downriver from the resort. Their citizens use the river water for daily routines. Therefore the installation of a treatment facility was not only an issue of environmental protection, but also one of safeguarding people’s access to clean drinking water.

At the end of 2017, a modern wastewater treatment facility was installed on the territory of the resort, as well as some energy efficiency measures, with a combined project value of USD 19 000. System capacity is based on 75 people, and it provides sewage treatment meeting the established sanitary norms and regulations, which allow the water to be disposed of into local terrain or used for irrigation.

«“I love my country and cherish its beauty. Three years ago, when we started our business on this territory, we considered the installation of a modern wastewater treatment facility. Indeed, polluting the river whose crystal clear water is used both by us and people living downriver is not only irresponsible but can also be considered as an “environmental sin,” », – says Omor Dzhumanazarov, the owner of Ak-Tilek.

The process of wastewater treatment includes several consecutive stages of mechanical and biological treatment. Sewage is first pumped into a tank for mechanical treatment where insoluble and large particles are grinded.

After that, the wastewater undergoes a biological treatment stage, which is based on the capability of microorganisms to use certain pollutants as a food source. Purified water is then diverted to the ground through a drainage system covering an area of 120 sq. m. If necessary, it can be pumped into a plastic storage tank and can be used for irrigation at a later stage.

The owner of Ak-Tilek noted that the system installation, implemented by the Asia Water Build Company, took only one month.

“Of course we could have installed a lower cost treatment facility, but treatment efficiency would not have been as high as we have now. We did not set a goal for the system to pay off its value, and that is why we selected a company that provides almost 100% assurances. The system treats 94% of the polluted water, the remaining 6% is purified naturally by the drainage system,”- shares Omor Dzhumanazarov.

The resort is actively preparing for the upcoming tourist season. The installation of the wastewater treatment facility is part of this. It meets the requirements of inspection bodies, which is undoubtedly a significant advantage.

«“I feel lucky that I learned about KyrSEFF and its technical and incentive components in one of the local banks. I used the loan funds totaling USD 19 000 not only to install the wastewater facility but also for energy efficient lighting in the building,” – says the entrepreneur.


For the successful implementation of the project, Omor Dzhumanazarov is expecting to receive a grant from the European Union totaling USD 2,856. The experts of KyrSEFF calculated that the project implemented by the Ak-Tilek resort will result in water savings of 5,832 m3, energy savings of 29.4 MWt-h, and CO2 emissions reduction equal to 1.3 tons per year.